Monday, November 24, 2008

I swore I would not have one in my house!

Animal mounts; while some can be very pretty, they are still dead animals and I swore I would not have one in my house! I like them in some homes. I think they fit nicely with their decor, but a dead animal head has never been in my vision for my home. However, after this weekend, I'm afraid that vision is going to have to change.
Yep, those are my mighty hunters, and that is the deer head I'm destined to look at for years to come. I will admit, it is a beautiful animal with a very big set of antlers, but come on girls, doesn't anyone feel my pain!
I could hear the excitement in Brett's voice when he called to report the kill. Dylan was there and even though he did not get to shoot at it because they were walking to their stand and his gun was unloaded, he too was fired up! When they told me it was big enough they were thinking about having it mounted, I actually encouraged it. No, I have not lost my mind. Anyone who could have heard their excitement would have done the same.
So, I have decided that when it finds it's place in our home, I will look at it not as a dead animal, but as a memento of a successful father son hunt. And while I will tolerate it for the boys I love, they will look at it with pride every time they pass it. They will remember the time they spent together; Dylan's first year of hunting with his dad. For that reason, I will have one in my house.
Now, the only decision left to make... upstairs or down..... I'm holding my breath!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I shot the deer hanging in my house so I don't know what to say about that...but here are some pointers to help you some with your vision. #1 - I like my dear to wear a Santa hat for the holidays. I feel it is very festive. #2- I have adorned the rack things such as bows, roses, ribbon, and some years I have let the Christmas stockings hang from it! I change the antlers as the mood strikes and when I feel he needs some variety. Just think of him as something else in your house you get to decorate and enjoy him. And I am very proud of you adjusting your vision for the men in your life!

Valerie said...

I just saw that I said dear instead of deer! See? I can't always spell either!

Serenity said...

I totally feel your pain. I don't want one either. But it's at the taxidermist's as we speak. I love my men too, but it's not like I decorate the house with Anne of Green Gables memorabilia - I'm just saying.