Wednesday, November 12, 2008

NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!



















If you really want to get Dylan going, ask him if he has a girlfriend. That will do it every time! At Dylan's age, girls are gross. And, while I agree that he is too young to worry about girls, I wouldn't mind to see him "like" one or two. But, he is insistent that they are JUST FRIENDS! And to insinuate anything else sends him into a tizzy!
Dylan's birthday falls at a bad time of year. It is always right at deer season, Thanksgiving and a month before Christmas. There just never seems to be a good time to have his party. So, this year I thought I'd get it done early so that it did not become another event on the list at the end of November.
Since he entered Kindergarten he has wanted to have a "friends" party. The dilemma is always who to invite. Some of the girls in his class always invite the boys to their party. But, Dylan never wants to return the favor... NO GIRLS ALLOWED! His idea of a great time is getting his closest buddies together to romp outside and do all that wonderfully dirty stuff boys like to do. This year he wanted to have a hot dog roast at his Nana and Papa's. I told him I would be glad to have as many or whom ever he would like (trying to hint that he could invite some of the girls in his class), but he had a different vision for the party than I did. Invitations to five of his best friends was all he wanted.
The night was filled with boy fun. A hayride filled with scary stories, a bonfire with hot dogs and s'mores, running in the dark, wrestling, and peeing on trees! Later we did coral them long enough to take in a good movie. And, outside of me not planning quite enough time to fit it all in, a great time was had by all.
As I watched him pal around with the guys, it made me realize all the fun that lies ahead. I thought about the times they will play football and basketball in the yard, then on teams. About the times they will spend playing video games in the basement. About the times they will spend just hanging out together. I know that girls will come all too soon. Girls will enter the picture and less of the "hanging with the guys" time will happen. I am sure that that will be a wonderful time too. But, for now, NO GIRLS ALLOWED is okay with me!

2 comments:

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie said...

I had a typo and had to delete my first comment...I just wanted to say it looked like big fun and I bet everyone slept well after that! I bet those boys will remember it, too. I remember our old sleepovers!