Monday, December 1, 2008

Do Jesus Know Mickey?


Over the weekend we took the kids to Branson. It has been a family trip for the last couple of years and one I really look forward to. My parents, Aunt Betty, Uncle Steve, Matthew and Christianne all got to go this year. Justin and Crystal and the boys decided not to go this time around. We missed them.
Each year we take in a show. One year the Dixie Stampede, last year the Broken Arrow show, and this year Brett and I took the kids to see Noah the Musical while the elderly people in our group took in Andy's Christmas Show. We had really high hopes for the musical and had hoped the kids would enjoy all the animals. Well, while the show had a great message and told the story of Noah (one that really amazes me) very well, I would only give it a fair rating and our kids would rate it even lower I'm sure. The animals did not make an appearance until over an hour into the show and when they did, most were fake. It would not be something I would pay to see again.
Anyway, half way through the show Logan leans over and whispers to Brett, "Do Jesus know Mickey?"
Do Jesus know Mickey? I'm often caught off guard by the questions our children will ask, and am intrigued by the way their mind works. Nowhere in the story was there a mouse, it certainly was not a Disney production, nor was Jesus even spoken of since he had not even been born yet. I had hoped that it might spark questions of biblical sorts, however, that was not exactly what I had in mind. I thought they might ask why Noah had never seen rain, or why he did not know what a boat was, or why he believed in God when no one else did. I thought it might be a great opportunity to have an elaborate Sunday school lesson. But, "Do Jesus know Mickey?" had not been a question we had anticipated. Brett assured him that Jesus probably does know Mickey. I mean, I'm sure he probably does, right?
So, even though I cannot understand what might have sparked the question, it certainly made us laugh. And while there were no great theology discussions on Noah and his experience Logan did recognize that God and Jesus are connected, and for now, that is good enough.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Great pictures and great post! While not Biblical or anything, Jaron asked me last week, "What do clouds eat?" I love trying to figure out how their little minds are processing the world around them.