I have been touched this week. I am not speaking about physically touched, but rather emotionally touched to my very core. The culprit; cardboard testimonies. If you don’t know what cardboard testimonies are, you should stop reading this, log onto YouTube, and watch as many as you can find. There simply are no words efficient enough to describe them to you. They truly are something you must see for yourself. However, for those of you who do not have instant internet access, I will do my best to fill you in. The concept is simple. On one side a weakness, struggle, or obstacle in your life is spelled out in basic black marker. On the other side how God has changed you or your situation. There are no spoken words, just a simply stated statement with a moving dynamic point. The point; God is still changing lives.
Here are some examples. On the front: Addicted to Heroin for thirty years. On the back: Saved, free and clean. Front: Not able to have children for five year. Back: Our son is two years old. Front: Scheduled an abortion 10 years ago. Back: Celebrating 10 years with our daughter. Front: Was sexually abused and had no hope for the future. Back: Found hope in Jesus! Now lead a group for sexually abused women. Front: Special needs child. Down syndrome plus hearing and vision problems. Back: Secure in God’s perfect plan. Reflecting God’s joy and kindness. Front: Battling stage three cancer. Back: Joy knowing that nothing can separate me from the love of God. Front: Looking for work, can’t make ends meet. Back: Trusting God and His perfect timing.
There are many, many more stories, one just as touching as the next. Some so touching they instantly bring you to tears, while others just make you smile. I hesitantly admit that I simply don’t live my life in such a way that I constantly see the good God has given me in the midst of my struggle. I try, but as hard as I try it too often seems that the weight of the hardship blocks the beauty or peace God is providing. For example, a good friend of mine is lying in a hospital bed with more broken bones than one could count. His recovery will be long and his end result uncertain. It would be easy to stay focused on the unfortunate circumstances of his accident instead of looking to find the plan God has. However, as I watched the cardboard testimonies I couldn’t help but wonder what his will be. How will God change his current circumstances? Will it be a testimony of healing against all odds, or peace beyond all understanding? I know that which ever it is there will be one and I pray that in time he will be able to see it and share it with others.
The testimonies also made me think a lot about what my own cardboard testimony would be. Honestly, I would have several because God has been present in all of my hard times and tough situations. The outcome has not always been what I would have chosen, but if I stop and look back on those situations I can see how God has brought me through them with a new understanding of His love. I would venture to guess that each of you would have several of your own. I often wish this column was interactive. I always feel that I miss out by not being able to hear or see your responses. Still, if I could share one with you, it would be this: front: Felt inadequate to share God’s love. Back: Realized it’s not about what I do, but what He has already done. Writing a weekly column called Faith and Family.
I Choose Joy
4 years ago

2 comments:
I had never seen these. Great post. I admire you for doing the column. Blogging is one thing but being published and read by a town of people who all know who you are is entirely another. I'm not that brave! Great post.
I am going to find these RIGHT NOW! I love it.
Post a Comment